20 Fun Facts About Car Removal and Wrecking

Car Removal

Total Car Collections has been part of the car removal Melbourne industry for more than two decades. And up until now, there are still some people who simply have no idea about what we do and why we do it. Apparently, those that who do know about car wreckers Melbourne, just happened to know us because they have had the need for our services.

Car removal, auto wrecking, and vehicle recycling is such a complicated process that maybe (for some) it makes all the more less interesting to be researched and learned about. So in our commitment to let more people know about all the wonderful benefits of auto recycling, we ought to provide you with 20 fun facts about it. These are the things that greatly impact and drive our goals and our vision.

  1. As they are considered necessities, automobiles are the most recycled consumer product in the world today.
  2. 25 million tons of materials are recycled from old and wrecked automobiles every year.
  3. The international car recycling industry is about 75 years old already.
  4. Car recyclers supply auto parts to retail and wholesale customers at a price 30-80% less than brand new ones.
  5. Technically, the average car’s body is made from 25% recycled steel.
  6. 14 million tons of recycled steel is obtained from junk cars.
  7. Every year around the world, about 27 million cars reach the end of their useful lives and are recovered for recycling.
  8. Only 80% of the vehicle is recycled and the remaining 20% which can’t be recycled is called “Auto Shredder Residue” that may consist of dirt, ferrous and non-ferrous steel materials, fabric, plastic, and more.
  9. Even if they are included in one of those toxic wastes from old and scrap cars, approximately 98-99% of car batteries can be recycled.
  10. Car tyre recycling is now also practised. The material obtained from it is used to make auto carpets, sandals, playgrounds, and even in roadways.
  11. Enough steel is recycled and reused each year to produce about 12 million new vehicles.
  12. In some cases, windshields can now also be recycled, too.
  13. Recycled oil saves about 80 million barrels of new oil each year.
  14. Toxic chemicals obtained from recycling cars aren’t put to landfills because they will harm our environment. Instead, using advanced technology, they are disposed of in an eco-friendly way.
  15. Obtained auto parts that are higher in value like alternators, infotainment systems, transmissions, and electronic modules are either restored to ‘like new’ condition, then sold. Or, they could also be sold ‘as-is’ and then sold to remanufacturers.
  16. Car removal and recycling also helps reduce the number of accidents simply by keeping the roads and highways free from disabled and abandoned vehicles.
  17. Big and legitimate automotive recycling companies spend approximately $50 million for environmental compliance.
  18. If 1 ton of steel is recycled, 2500 pounds of iron ore, 1400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone from natural resources are conserved.
  19. Leading car removal companies accept old and wrecked cars that don’t have registration or titles; but they would still need some proof of ownership.
  20. Used auto parts are also bought by many DIY-ers to upcycle and make furniture, ornaments, kitchen tools, grilling and picnic equipment, gates, and more.

After learning about all these awesome facts and figures that concern car removals and auto recycling, we sure do hope that you consider taking advantage of our services and contribute to helping the automotive industry, the economy, and Mother Nature. So again, even if you see them as useless eyesores, know that your old and junk cars are worth much more than you could ever imagine. The sooner you realise that you need to have your vehicle removed and recycled, the more used car parts and materials can be recovered.

If you wish to know how you could take advantage of our services, you may speak to our friendly operators who are always eager to be of help to you. Simply dial 0457 471 397.

Online Enquiry Form

Please Fill the below form and get free quote for your car








Online Enquiry Form

Please Fill the below form and get free quote for your car